26.10.06

$10 is $10

An old man Stumpy and his wife Martha went to the Illinois State Fair. There is a man selling tickets for plane rides in his single prop show plane for $10 per head. Stumpy looks to Martha and says, "Martha, I think I really should try that." Martha replies, "I know you want to Stumpy, but we have a lot of bills, and you know that we can't spend money like that, and $10 is always $10 to us." So Stumpy goes without any joyousness. They return to the place every year, and the same thing happens, Stumpy wants to ride, but Martha says no.

Finally, when Stumpy and Martha are both about 70 years old, Stumpy looks to Martha, and says, "Martha, I'm 70 now, and I don't know if I'll ever get the chance again, so I just want to have a ride in that airplane." Martha replies in the same old fashion, and Stumpy slumps down.

The pilot who stands near by overhears the conversation.

The pilot steps in, "Excuse me folks, I couldn't help hearing your pathetic situation, and I have a deal for you. I'll take both of you up together, and if you can both make the entire trip without uttering a word, or even making the slightest sound, I'll give it for free. But if either of you make a sound, its $10 each." Well, Martha and Stumpy look at each other, and agree to take the ride.

The pilot takes them up, and starts to do loop de loops, twists, dives, climbs and spins. Yet there's no sound. The pilot lands the plane, looks back at Stumpy and says, "Sir, I have to hand it to you. You didn't make even the slightest sound even to my best stuff." Stumpy looks back at the pilot and says, "Well, I was gonna say something when Martha fell out, but $10 is $10!"

No comments: